Rodents and pests are more than an inconvenience. In fact, they can have serious health impacts on families. Having an insect and rodent prevention plan is critical to protecting people from deadly diseases. This is why many businesses, homes and schools use Utah pest control services, helping prevent and ward off infestations.
There are several general tips that SLC pest control companies recommend for helping prevent rodent and pest infestations. These include the following:
- Keep all landscaping, which includes shrubs, tree branches and flowers, well trimmed and away from structures.
- Seal all holes and cracks on the exterior of buildings, as these are often entry points for pests and rodents. This includes sealing all pipes and utilities.
- All crawl space, basement and attic areas should be dry and well ventilated, as humid areas are breeding grounds for pests.
- Garbage should be securely stored in sealed containers and regularly disposed, as this will help limit rodent-related issues.
- As many insects are attracted to rotten wood, it’s important that all rotten shingles, fascias and siding be maintained and repaired.
- Loose mortar around windows and foundations should be repaired, as well as installing weather-stripping around doors. Remember that some rodents only need one-quarter-inch of space to squeeze through.
- Firewood should be stored a minimum of 20 feet from the home. To further reduce rodents, consider elevating the firewood a minimum of five inches.
- If a birdbath is located on the property, change the water every three days, as this will help prevent a mosquito infestation.
- Gutters and diverts help channel water away, allowing for proper foundation drainage.
- Keep food areas clean by removing any crumbs or garbage, as this will help prevent pests from making a home in high-profile kitchen areas.
- Make sure interior floors are always clean by wiping up spills with soap and water. This helps eliminate food odors, which attract many rodents and insects.
- Consider placing all ripe fruit in the refrigerator so the countertops don’t offer temptations for insects and rodents.
- Regularly seal all food, including seeds, cereal and grains.
- Avoid keeping large piles of leaves in the yard, as these also attract a variety of pests and rodents.
- Check everything coming into a home, as some pests are known to hitch rides on boxes, vegetables or fruits.
- If all else fails, hire a professional Salt Lake City pest control company, as they have experience tackling a variety of pest-related infestations. Additionally, many pest companies, such as The Green Pest, offer treatments for a wide variety of pests, ranging from ants, spiders, wasps, voles, Box Elder bugs and rats to mice.